Have you Smiled Yet Today?

Have You Smiled Yet Today?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Tolerance Shmolerance

It's been my experience that people generally known as "tolerant," funny enough, are most intolerant of intolerant people. Going with that, my in tolerances:



1) Use of the phrase "waste of time," "what a waste," "wasting my time," etc. I don't know that there is much that is a waste of time. At least not from the rose-colored glasses side I look from. There is always a lesson in something, so while I may not like doing something, it certainly is not a waste. Just saying.



2) Words "gay," "fag," or, "retarded." I call these hate words. They are hateful, unproductive words that only tout ignorance and lack of kindness.



3) Mass-media published typos. I mean on obvious stuff, not a misplaced comma in a complicated sentence. Like the other day I read an article on MSN that spelled "paid" as "payed."



4) People who, upon finding out that I'm vegan, immediately proceed to argue the issue with me. Screw you.



5) The perpetually negative. Okay, okay, I'm making a list of things that piss me off, but keep in mind that I don't do this often and I also try and find the good in everything, even when I'm pissy. Voltaire and I could have quite the discussion, really. But people who have nothing good to say about anything are not high on my list of favorites.



6) Comments on how much/often I eat. I snack throughout the day. I bring large amounts of veggies, fruits, and other fun things to snack on all day long. This is not to attract attention. It's because I'm hungry. So comments like "you're eating again" or "you're so skinny for someone who eats so much" are rude and hurtful. They make me very self-conscious and uncomfortable (as a floret of cauliflower is held between my lips for chomping).



What are your ticks or peeves?



As an update: the holy/holey toe is doing great! I didn't get a chance to post the photo yesterday, so here you go!



The Girls and I got together last night for our preliminary meeting of the now-named Bad-ass Girls Bookclub. I've been really excited about this for awhile. It will expand my reading repertoire, which admittedly has gotten more snoody that it should have over the last year or so, and bring together wonderful women. What is most fun, though, is that our first book is Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. I have not read it, but have heard great things about Mary Roach before.
When I say that my reading repertoire has gotten quite snoody, I should explain myself. For a very long time I was a card-carrying member of the Snoody English Major Club. Then I found out I'd have to like Beowulf to keep my membership and said "see ya!" and haven't looked back. To be honest, I got tired of chasing my tail. Beating something over the head. However you want to phrase it, I got tired of talking about literature. Analyzing it over 12 pages and giving sources. Ugh. I just was sick of it by the end. It came to a big head when I wrote 12 pages on how the term "magical realism" is actually a terrible term, inaccurate at best, and derogatory almost always. (Insert snoodiness here). Anyway. So I gave away or traded in almost all of my books, with very few exceptions, and took my 3-book case library down to about 2 shelves, and have been perfectly fine shluffing my way through.
I tend to read new-agey, vegan, spiritual non-fiction/philosophy, memoir (not by celebrities), or poetic fiction. I don't read sci-fi with the exception of the one book, Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card, I don't read series books (except Harry Potter), and I don't read smutty mass-produced trash (though I did make myself finish The Devil Wears Prada and must say it's a terrible bit of total trash that doesn't compare to the film). Sorry, that is a very harsh word. . . mmm. . . "romance," chick lit" books. That is not to say I won't, I just never have and for the most part, was perfectly fine continuing down that path. I also don't like, usually, easy books. Books that make it so I can passively read. As I writer, I don't like writing for passive audiences, either. I like to engage and be engaged in what I do and read and write. So if there's no lyricism or figuring it out, I don't usually prefer it. However, I did read He's Just Not That Into You and gobbled it all up and loved every page. So, you see, I really need to expand my range of reading. I need to teach myself to open up a little. And remind myself that I won't die if a book doesn't have highlight-necessary phrases every paragraph. I'm excited. :)

Are you a picky reader? What genre(s) do you prefer, if any? Is there anything you absolutely won't read?

It's also because we had a meeting last night that my menu today consists entirely of snack left-overs plus an odwalla and some strawberries. Promises of more cooking to come tonight!

Mantra of the Day: Om apadamapa hartaram dataram sarva sampadam loka bhi ramam sri rama bhuyo bhuyo namamyaham. Translation: Oh, most compassionate Rama, please send your healing energy right here to the earth, the earth . This is apparently a healing mantra. I say apparently because yes, I've run out of mantras that I can easily recall, and I'm slightly lagging today, so I could use some extra healing love to get generated! Ugh.

Question of Gratitude: Who, or what, are you grateful for today? Today I am grateful for my dear, wonderful, good friend Chelle and her fiance for leaving snacks at my house. This is a very simple bit of thanks, but really, today you saved me from sure starvation since I woke up late and did not have the desire to make lunch. Also, you are both wonderful, awesome people and I'm so excited for you both! Congrats!

3 comments:

  1. Aww, the Bad-Ass Girls Book Club sounds like fun! I'm totally jealous! I bet you don't read children's books though, which is what I'm currently 'into' for school. Charlotte's Web anyone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for saying hi and i checked your recipe u sent me too....looks great YUM!

    ReplyDelete