Today I was the girl at the gym who forgot to shave [her arm pits]. Maybe I'm the only one who does this, but I always forget. And I know I can always check, but yes, I forget to do that too. All the time. Talk about embarrassing moments hours after the fact.
I am also the girl who forgot her towel and stuffed her work pants into her gym bag. Solutions: Insides of hoodies are excellent towels/hair dryers; If you hang your pant legs over the shower and leave the water on super hot (not while you're in it, btw), you will be done getting ready (dry off, lotion, rest of clothes on) and so will your pants! Problems solved! Score!
Today's workout consisted of
5 minute warm-up walk at 6% incline at 3.6 mph
30 minute All-terrain walk/run (varying incline/speed of -1%/6.4mph to 17% /3.6mph)
3 minute cool down of 3mph walk at 3% incline
(As you can see, I like incline training. I'm not a fast runner. As much as I enjoy running, it's not something I naturally excel at. I'm a pack mule. Put 60 pounds on my back and tell me to walk 11 miles of crazy terrain. I can do that in a jiff! Same for hiking. I'm a quick hiker. I walk fast/jog often. But when it comes to just regular ol' running I'm slooooowwwww. Just this year did I make myself run a full 3 miles without stopping, which, in reality, is crap. Now, have me do the same thing walking uphill for an hour? Oh man, that's my kind of time)!
WEIGHTS! (I'm taking a HIIT Break)
-Hip ab-ductor/ad-ductor machine to fatigue 3 times.
-Crunch machine with 20lbs to fatigue
Core: v-ups, leg lifts, russian twists, bicycles kicks, canoe paddle, circle left lifts (25 each on each side), with 30 second planks in dolphin arm position in between each set
- Quad Mill (aka hell whell) for 1 minute on each side
- lat pull down, 30 lbs, to fatigue, 3 times
- chest press, 15 lbs, to fatigue, 3 times
- biceip curls, 10 lbs, to fatigue 2 times, 15lbs to fatigue once
- triceps, 10lbs, to fatigue, 3 times
-stretches! I'm skipping yoga tonight, but am going tomorrow. Because I'm doing yoga now significantly more than I have been, I'm not worrying too much about stretching right after my workout. I didn't stretch hardly at all after working out, and my range of motion has significantly decreased because of it. ALWAYS STRETCH!
So the reason for my rediscovered fitness freakout (decrased wheat gluten, less tofu, more workouts since Hawaii trip) is my personal freakout at hitting 25. Sorry if what follows bothers my dear friends and any readers.
I've read several articles that indicate that once I hit 25 my body decides to flip me the bird and say "hey, we're going to get fat!" Well, okay, not get fat, but certainly gain weight/slow mymetabolism/make it more difficult to lose excess poundage.
Several sites include:
http://www.healthandfitness.com/advice/25.asp
http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/93/1/70
http://caloriecount.about.com/article/how_dieting_and_age_affect_your_metabolism
http://www.weightlossforall.com/factors-change-metabolism.htm
While the age where one's metabolism/muscle efficiency decreases ranges anywhere from 23-30 in these articles and studies, I'm not taking my chances. Hell, if I go off of one, I'm already behind the curve!
Basically, after a certain point, let's just go with 25, a woman's (my) metabolism and muscle efficency begins to decrease. At first the change is slight, but after 30, especially, it's much more noticeable. The way to beat it/stave it off for as long as I possibly can? Lots of exercise and a clean diet! Specfically more weight-based training . Light to moderate aerobic exercise does not, according to a couple studies, have long term effects on metabolism; weight training (even just with body weight) does. Diet, age, and activity will help contribute to my body well-being. And decrease my fear of stepping on a scale. I am perfectly fine with getting older just as long as I look great doing it. And if I can get my metabolism and body where I would like it to be before I hit 25 (or 30) I'm going to do it. Gosh darn it. So! Lots of pack mulish behavior to come.
What are you concerns with aging?
What do your workouts look like these days?
In other news, MEH and I partook in Inception last night, starring Ellen Page, Leo DiCaprio *swoon*, and Marion Cotillard. Great film. We also saw it at the new IMAX theater in Anchorage. Yes, for anyone reading, Anchorage didn't have an IMAX theater until about a month ago. It has IMAX, IMAX 3D, all digital projection, and comfy seats. Unfortunately, the comfy seats and digital projection are not, to me, worth 13.50. That's just ridiculous.
But the film was terrific. Leo always delivers, really. Who can argue with that? Or at least, who can argue with Jack, dear Jack Dawson. This man has had my heart since age 11. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was convincing in his role, Marion Cotillard was lovely as ever, and Ellen Page, for me, grew out of her Juno cast I had her in for years. It also had me rethinking some of my dreams in the past - where did they come from? And further, where have some of my defining attitudes, opinions, and life choices come from?
Have you seen the movie? What did you think? Oh, and do you think IMAX is worth it?
Mantra of the Day: Om. I'm trying to expand my thoughts and actions into a universal attitude. How do others affect me? How do I affect others? And how do we all affect each other, perhaps, without even realizing it? Do we owe everyone everything, or nobody anything? Where do you draw the line, if you draw it? This vibration is helping me to look at things in very different, very wonderful ways. Try it out! It opens up some awesome crazy doors!
Question of Gratitude: Who, or what, are you grateful for? I am grateful for the food in my fridge. There are many days where I wake up in the morning and just don't feel like cooking a damn thing. There are also nights where I walk into my kitchen and think "no. not happening tonight." And then I realize that I have a lot more than many people. I have fresh food, great food, organic wonderful sustenance just waiting for me inside of a door. I certainly have the luxury of being able to go out and have someone serve something to me, but I have an even greater luxury of supplying it for myself. Thanks food, and Mama Earth for being around and giving me this great sustenance to thrive on!
I'm toast!! Thanks for spreading the joy!
ReplyDeletethanks for all your great comments this week and i hope you have a super day tomorrow!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI didn't even think REGULAR movies were worth $9.50 when that was the going price (I think it may have gone up? Not sure!). I too am concerned about aging - hitting 25 in a short 1month and 1day time frame! I have long been on the side of weight training as opposed to cardio, for health benefits as well as CARDIO IS BORING :) I hate cardio machines of all kinds, group fitness can be fun but really is ALL THE SAME after awhile. Of course I *do* cardio several times a week but the days that I truly love the gym are my strength training days. BTW are we hiking this weekend my pack mule friend??
ReplyDelete-DMsS
A hiking we shall go! 0930?
ReplyDeleteI've gotten more into a cardio groove - and enjoy weights when it's more fast paced - but get bored with weight machines. A new love I have found in free weights!
Group fitness though is always my favorite. Never boring!
I agree with you on free weight, I gave up on machines or all kinds long ago (except the weight assist chin up machine as I build strength to no longer need it heh heh heh...)
ReplyDeleteHiking 9:30 sounds good to me!! :)
DMsS