How can you not love her, really?
So! In light of my decision to lighten up on the gluten, I made a trip to blessed Costco.
Again, I love Costco now. Because really, where else could I spend as much little as I do there for as much produce as I bought last night. I went crazy! Here was my cart after I paid for everything:

Ignore the DiGiorgno pizzas (those are MEH’s). Look at all the goodies! Medjool dates for 8 bucks! A whole sack of avos! 4 cucumbers, a bag of smoothie fruits, a big box of mixed greens, 2 gallons of OJ, 1 bag of red peppers, 3 bunches of bananas (who can beat the deal of 1.89 a bunch?!), and I just know I’m forgetting something. I was in produce heaven.
I was in such produce heaven that as soon as I walked in the door I made myself a smoothie of chard, banana, braeburn apple, frozen smoothie fruits, and orange juice.
Delish! I had a bunch of chard that was about to kick the bucket so it hopped happily into my GM Food Processor (I will be writing an Ode to the Food Processor/My Mother-in-Law fairly soon) and went bzzzzzwhirrrrrrr. MEH is still getting used to this whole blogging/taking pictures of everything I eat deal. He made fun of me for the longest time when I took this one, pre bzzzzzzwhirrrrrrr:
Nom nom nom. This may be my new way of adding in more leafy greens to my day. It was very fruity, super tasty, and 100% RAW! Ah ah ah! If you haven’t been paying attention, I’m trying to include more raw/whole foods into my diet. If only I could bring my food processor everywhere. . .
Do you usually add greens to your smoothies?
I also experimented last night. I have used nutritional yeast (heretofore to be named Nooch since typing out nutritional yeast every time I use it from now on will be tasking, and so dubbed by Averie of www.loveveggiesandyoga.com) sparingly in recipes before. Just for an added bonus of B12 (something vegans have a problem getting unless we are quite vigilant with our nutrition) it’s been sprinkled in dishes. But I’ve read so much about these excellent cheez dishes made with it that I had to follow suit. I bought a small (what I thought was hefty, but in retrospect is itty bitty) bag of Nooch at Freds in the natural foods section with the intention of bringing it home and making a new cheez sauce for dipping/salads/future cheez dishes.
Here is the pot, rather unappetizing as it may appear:
In there we have 3 heaping tablespoons of Nooch, about a teaspoon of Sriacha sauce, and about 8 shakes of Spike seasoning. As you can tell, I wanted a spicy cheez sauce. I added some garlic (probably too much garlic) to the mix, simmered it until it slightly thickened in the water (I only added water, no hemp/soy/almond milk) and tasted it.
Verdict? Delicious! I’m a new woman. With so many new ideas for FOOD! I definitely added too much garlic, but the spiciness was terrific! And it was perfectly cheesy! It found itself drizzled over half a sliced cucumber (I wasn’t really hungry after that smoothie). Yum!
What's your favorite sauce/dressing?
Sidenote, I don’t know if you’ve discovered www.nutritiondata.com but it’s an incredible source of information about your food! Who knew that cucumbers only had 45 calories in a whole stinking one? It also posts information about the fullness factor, complete protein-ness of your food, and the glycemic index, too!
Also, check out Kelly’s blog on the benefits and helpful uses of a cucumber (in a not even remotely phallic sense).
I felt so productive last night that I assembled my lunch early. I don’t ever do this. I mean, I may cook my lunch the night before, but prepare it ahead of time? No, I am the queen of procrastination with no crown. I assembled a lovely insalata of mixed greens, red pepper, and cucumber. 
I was terribly distressed though, when I read Gena’s blog on how to assemble a proper lunch/dinner salad and realized I NEED AVO! I had the nooch dressing all set up for dipping and some sliced broccoli and cauliflower in case I finished off the salad, but apparently that just won’t get me through the day. We shall see!
I also brought a nanner and a slice of my chocolate chip banana bread to help stave me over through this Yoga Thursday!
This just in: MEH loves me :)
I went to visit him for lunch today and look what a good girl I’ve been: I got a whole Shun Chef set!
Well, not a whole one, but a good one! With special grip handles! And reflective blades! Ah! I could dance. In fact, I did dance.

These knives are the best. Really. Great blades, unparalleled comfort, super quality, I could go on. But I won’t. Instead, I will have a very long discussion of veggies with them. Ohhh yay!
Mantra of the Day: Om Namah Shivaya. Translation: I bow to Shiva. Now, Shiva can be Shiva as in the deity, but in this mantra it also, most importantly, represents your inner divinity/self. It is noted that to repeat this mantra within your heart and with full awareness can bring you to enlightenment. It’s also very pretty when sung by Deva Primal.
Question of Gratitude: Who are what are you grateful for today? I am grateful for Star, my yoga instructor at Laughing Lotus. I didn’t make it to class last week, and I have missed the atmosphere of the studio and the enthusiasm of her teachings tremendously. I can’t wait for class tonight! Thanks, Star!
No comments:
Post a Comment