Have you Smiled Yet Today?

Have You Smiled Yet Today?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Aly's Back, Alright!

(Insert cheesy dance move here).

My dear friends, readers, super folk, I have been so terribly busy with work that I have neglected blogging upkeep!  My apologies! Let's just say my world has been full full full, more than usual, and I haven't had a computer to boot, so I have been elsewhere.

What I have been up to:

Well.  We last saw me on the 23rd.  Since then, my work schedule has changed, so I'm no longer office-bound on some Mondays. WOOOO!  Except that it certainly makes that week's workload a bit more hectic.  The week of the 26th I can honestly say I didn't do anything other than eat, sleep, work, and yoga.  The order actually should be:  Work, eat, yoga, sleep.  It was a crazy hectic week!

And then last week was the week of the Return.  You know, the time period that everyone of college or just out of college age decides to come home?  The Return.  And all but one friend, who will be here this week, came home last week and last week only.  Or that was the only time I'd been able to swing in to meet up with them.  There were no lunch breaks or after work time periods free from Friendage. This was wonderful, but tiring.  And I missed my MEH time oh so much.  I spent Sunday sleeping (to a scary degree), watching Grey's Anatomy (Season 2), and various other movies.  I made soup.  That was the extent of my productivity. 

This week truthfully sees more of the same (of course) but I have a few free moments to update you on my comings and goings.  I really did prepare photos and rants for the last 2 weeks, I've just had no outlet.  My phone also went down the old hole last week, so I lost many pictures that I'd planned on sharing.  Of the ones I saved beforehand, here is what I was up to 2 weeks ago:

Celebrating Nate's Birthday
    Sweet Caroline and I went out for Nate Kampen's Golden Birthday.  Our dear friend died in a car accident our senior year of high school (9/11/03).  In his honor, we decided to make the event quite full of shenanigans.  Really, we were tame, and went to dinner at Orso's where I was a bad vegan.  Berate me if you will, but every now and then I remind myself of why I eat the way I do.  This was one of those nights.  We started off with a wine flight from France: 

All of them were delicious, but it seemed to both SC and I that the first one stood above the rest.
Orso also offered up some garlic hummus and EVOO with bread

Clearly, we did not wait for picture taking before dipping into the nom noms.  Delish!

Dinner included a veryrather bland pasta with sauteed vegetables which I did not take a picture of, proving that really, Orso has depleted their vegan/vegetarian friendly entree options to nill without explicit request.
(I say this because there used to be several options, all tasty, that were vegan friendly).

And here, ladies and gents, is where I went totally south:  Dessert.
When it is your much-missed friend's Golden Birthday, and you celebrate in his honor, I think I will personally justify eating whatever the Hell I want, integrity be damned. 

Voila! Tiramisu!  Tiramisu to bloat you die for.  Oh me oh my.  Coupled with an after dinner coffee, and you couldn't ask for more!


Moving right along.  I also had dessert and beer with Lovely Writer Friend and Super Smart Psych Guy, heretofore known as SSPG.  Laughs and calories were had all around. 

It really is nice to meet up with friends who I haven't seen in years.  Really, years.  Others months, some days.  And yet.  I love them all in ways difficult to comprehend.  I've often thought that I form strong attachments to people very quickly.  I'm a lifer - fiercely and loyally so - and have a very difficult time, even after many, many years of lost contact, letting go of a friendship. 

 And it's taken me as many years to make that realization to realize one other big, key thing:  Most people aren't that way.  Most people are not lifers.  Most people may aspire to be lifers.  Or entirely accept that people come and go and don't take it personally and have no inclination to be lifers.  I take everything personally.  Well, not everything, but many things.  And there are few things that I do or commit to that are "phases."  Then again, I could just be a long term phase person.  And perhaps this is why I sucked at dating.  Or having "party friends."  Or many other things in life.  Commitmentphobe I am not!  Give me commitment! Habits!  Routines! I love them!  So it is no coincidence to me that people who I have sometimes spent little time with over my life still leave an indelible mark on my history and character.  Chances are if I haven't seen or heard from you for years, I still refer to you as my friend.  Either way, I love you (them) all the same. 
That was rant #1

Rant #2:  PEOPLE WHO USE PRODUCE BAGS LIKE THIS
I promise you, sir who was in front of me, that your lettuce, cucumbers, and cauliflower will not suffer if you do not bag them.  This is just plain wasteful.  And I do not use that word lightly.  The produce may or may not sit in that bag in your refrigerator or on your counter.  It may or may not be immediately thrown away after use.  But in any case, using those bags unless necessary (because I am certainly guilty of not yet converting to all reusable bags) for say, beans, but not for your bananas or onions.  Ugh.  My suggestion, while I ride this very high horse:
Here we have a a full head of broccoli, carrots, and a green pepper all not bagged and all equally healthy for you.  Bagged, we have raw sunflower seeds.  Yes, I should have my reusable bags handy, but I didn't.  still.  Whole produce has absolutely no need to be put in a silly, wasteful plastic bag.
Okay.  Hopping down now. . .

And an Alaskaism for any non-Alaskan readers and for those Alaskan readers who find it equally entertaining that the state has an apparent fondness for Subarus:

This is outside the Laughing Lotus Yoga studio.  I counted 5 out of 8 cars to be Subies.  That is in the picture alone.  There are several not in the photo that added themselves to the parking lot mix.  A stereotype of the NeoAlaska yoga outdoorswoman/man?  Most certainly.  But really, they/we prove ourselves quite easy to peg with this one.

But my dear friends, it is time for me to head back to the stocks.  I hope to fill you in on more comings and goings and perhaps some more creativity tomorrow or Friday.  I do apologize for the delay - it is not that I don't care, but I've had no time - and will fill you all in on more to come. 

In Closing:

Mantra of the Day: Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo.  Translation:  I call on Infinite Creative Consciousness.  I call on Divine Wisdom.  It's a repeated mantra for Kundalini yoga.  Very pretty.  And I did find it to be quite helpful in release through a Kundalini practice which, while it did not require a lot of exertion, certainly became difficult.  Kriyas, anyone?  I also like the mantra because it calls on the inner creativity of the self; it acknowledges that we are all full of creativity and that creativity is divine and breathing unity.  And it includes wisdom.  Inner wisdom - the inner guru. 

Question of Gratitude: Who, are what, are you thankful for today?  I am thankful for my friends/readers.  I've had several people as "where are you?" and that feels really great.  Knowing that people are actually reading this and following up is beautiful.  Thank you all! I have not forgotten about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment