Have you Smiled Yet Today?

Have You Smiled Yet Today?

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Crabbage

Hello dear friends!  Happy Thirsty Thursday!  I say this from behind my bottle of Nantucket Nectars apple juice.  I'm a juice girl :)
Up on today's post:  Self-Righteous Eaters (let's stay away from the generalization of plain old self-righteous people); My new creation in the kitchen, and one of my favorite topics:  My pooches!

Numero Uno:
     This post comes after an in-work encounter.  It's a typical thing for me in office environments to have The Vegan Talk with every employee.  How they find out is always different, and this came from a new employee in the office.  Situation:
Baked Goods Tuesday!  I brought in vegan baked goods from Middle Way Cafe.
Middle Way Cafe!  My favorite local vegan friendly joint!
    I brought in a Blueberry Muffin, Chocolate Chip Cookie, and GF Banana Bread to share between the 6 of us in the office.  Everyone partakes; some things are more popular than others.  The new employee came in and I let him know to help himself, that they are for everyone.  He noted that he doesn't need anymore junk food.  I replied:
   "That's the great part!  They are vegan!  Practically health food!" 
To which he replied, patting his large stomach:
  "Do I look like a vegan kinda' guy?"
No, sir, you don't, but that certainly doesn't mean that it won't taste good.  And if you don't want them, just say no thank you.  But he continued:
  "Oh, you're a vegan, huh?  Are you a vegan because of health reasons or because you don't like hurting sweet little animals?"
   "Both plus one."  (Actually, I should have said plus some because my own reasons are bountiful, and really, it's none of your business, but I will humor you.)
  "Oh, what is that?"
  "I don't like BigAg or having hormones and pesticides pumped into my food.  I don't like GMO, either.
  He then went on to say he'd listened to some NPR talk about how scientists have concluded that without the consumption of meat, the human race never would have evolved.  And apparently, for this reason, the entire population subsisting off of only or primarily produce is entirely unsustainable.

Okay.  Let me say that I don't have any intentions of ever again consuming meat, and my dairy/egg consumption will be kept to a minimum more than likely for the rest of my life.  I just don't care for it anymore.  I have many reasons, and have no problems telling them when asked sincerely.  I also do not believe that a vegan diet is for everyone for many reasons.  It can be that some people just don't want it, that it can be more expensive when not done wisely, that it's just not made for some bodies, whatever.  I don't care if you are vegan or not.  I do care, however, if you are healthy or unhealthy and I am the one who either eats or doesn't eat around you.  I also care if you harass me about what I eat; I certainly don't go around telling people "do you know how many hormones are pumped into your food every day?"  Or, "when was the last time you knew all of the ingredients in your food for the day?"  Why?  Because it's none of my business.  If you are vegan or vegetarian, great; If not, whatever.  Don't get on my case, I won't get on yours.  Ugh.  I could go on and on.  Self-righteous eaters just drive me nuts.  It's one of the reasons I didn't go vegan for a long time and it's one of the reasons that I don't tout that I am vegan all that much anymore, either.  I'm tired of defending, explaining away, and feeling chastised for a lifestyle that clearly works well for me. 
What are you thoughts?  Any suggestions in handling situations like this?  Have you ever been bullied because of your eating habits?

Numero Due:
      Middle Way Cafe has this wonderful vegan brunch dish called the Colour's Tofu Stack.  It's a delicious mix of flax, beets, potatoes, tofu and ranchero sauce (maybe more ingredients) similar in texture to hashbrowns.  I wanted some, but clearly, at 7pm, it wasn't going to happen. So I decided to make my own with a bit of a twist depending on my home ingredients. 

Happy Aly's Vegan Hashbrown Twist
2 shredded ruby gold potatoes
2 shredded beets
1/2 small cabbage, shredded and diced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
basil, pepper
1 tablespoon(ish) of Hippie Dust (Nutritional Yeast)
Cook in coconut oil

I shredded the potatoes and beets and a corner of my left thumb (don't do that, by the way), and put them in a small saute pan with the coconut oil.  Stir around, making sure everything is evenly cooked.
I shredded and diced the cabbage while the potatoes and beets were cooking, and then stirred them in.  Sprinkled basil and pepper on top to taste.
Add the tomato sauce in after everything is near done cooking, along with the Hippie Dust.

These are not your typical hashbrowns in a patty.  I'm sure they could be, but I didn't make them that way.  Here they are, in all their not so beautiful, but very tasty glory:

Verdict:  Yuum! Yum yum yum!! It was almost spot on to the flavor of MWay's stack, though the cabbage changed the flavor a bit.  The tomato sauce was a good sub for the ranchero salsa type sauce they use, and the Hippie Dust gave it some extra texture and cheesiness.  Definitely a good one in my book!  The downside:  The cabbage and I did not agree.  We are still disagreeing, actually.  Next time I make this I may omit it or use much less than I did.  Tasty, but with consequences for me!

Numero Tre:  POOCHES!
   Last night I took Roners for a run around our neighborhood (about 3 miles).  My sweet baby boy (okay, he's not a baby, he's 3 now) has never gone on runs with me, and has trouble staying focused when there are other dogs around.  So MEH and I are trying to get this out of him a bit; MEH by stronger discipline and more walks, me by taking him for runs so he's more leash friendly.  He was wonderful!  He is such a Mama's boy and is so protective of me, but he definitely enjoyed himself.  And was tuckered out afterward, because he crashed
   My pooches are my children.  I treat them as such, baby them as such, and discipline them the same.  I adore them in every way and love coming home to their sweet faces:
Roni, KayKay, and Bob playing with MEH.  Their favorite game? Rope.  Hands down.
He's a 13 year old mutt wonder who is crankier than a 90 year old man the sweetest thing in the world.  His little poofy tail gets me every time.  I like to dance around him and say "His name is Harwosh, Hawosh santinas" to the tune of "Her name is Lola" or at least I think that's the name of the song.
I also love my family dog, our tried and true old boy, Harley, pictured above.  He was supposed to be a Springer Spaniel mix.  Do you see Springer in there?  I think not.  But he is sweet as the days are long, old, mostly blind and deaf, can't walk all that great, but just wants to keep you company.  And he's furry!

They all make me do this:
I LOVE MY POOCHEROOS!

Mantra of the Day:  Walk in Beauty.  Now, I don't mean that you should walk around thinking you are the greatest damn thing ever put on the earth.  Because, while you may be, that's not the point;  the point is to increase your love of your self, your spirit, and this body that you inhabit.  You are worthy of everything that comes your way, good and not so great.  So embrace it, see the good, and give thanks.

Question of Gratitude: Who, or what, are you thankful for?:  I am thankful for, guess what, the pooches in my life.  I'm a dog person.  I love them, they, I think, love me, and provide an endless amount of joy to my life.  Whether they are cuddling with me on the couch or in bed, or just wagging their tail when I say their name, they make my day every day.  Thank you, my loving pooches, for just being you. 

1 comment:

  1. If ignorance is bliss, the gentleman at your office must be a very happy camper!

    ReplyDelete